National Site Home Search Site mapContact us
 
The Lung Association of Saskatchewan 100-year Timeline

1900 The Canadian Association for the Prevention of Consumption and other Forms of Tuberculosis was founded in Ottawa on September 13. It would eventually become the Canadian Lung Association.
1910 Dr. M. M. Seymour, Commissioner for Health in Saskatchewan initiates meetings regarding tuberculosis treatment.
The Saskatchewan Anti-Tuberculosis League Logo
1911 Saskatchewan Anti-Tuberculosis League was organized on February 11, and incorporated on March 23. It was Saskatchewan’s first health charity. Peter McAra was the first President and Dr. William Hart was the first Medical Superintendent. Funds raised by voluntary subscription totalled $97,000. [Read more about tuberculosis and the history of TB.]
1913 Construction began on the Fort Qu’Appelle Sanatorium with the aid of provincial government grants. Andrew Cook was elected League President.
1914 Construction was suspended owing to the outbreak of World War I and resumed in 1916.
1917 The Saskatchewan Sanatorium (later re-named “Fort Qu’Appelle Sanatorium” in 1923 but generally known as Fort San) opened October 10. By December, 60 beds were filled. Dr. R. George Ferguson was appointed as Medical Superintendent.
1919 On October 30, the Children’s Pavilion opened; the Imperial Order of Daughters of the Empire (IODE) donated $45,000 and paid for treatment for those unable to pay. Everywoman’s Fund provided $50,000 towards cost of caring for indigent tuberculosis mothers. The Sanatorium facilities were enlarged. In March, the Red Cross Lodge was built. His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales (Edward VIII) visited Fort San in October. In December, the first Valley Echo, the sanatorium newsletter, was published. (The Valley Echo continued to be published until 1965.)
1921 The first school survey in Canada was conducted - 1346 Saskatchewan school students were tested for TB infection. The first schoolroom for children receiving treatment was opened in the sanatorium. League President Andrew B. Cook was appointed Managing Director.
1923 The first diagnostic clinic in a general hospital was opened at Regina General Hospital.
1924 Municipal funding pools were initiated to finance care of indigent patients.
1925 The Saskatoon Sanatorium was opened April 15 with 135 beds and Dr. Harvey C. Boughton as the Medical Superintendent.
1927 The Preventorium opened at Fort Qu’Appelle Sanatorium supported by IODE. Babies born of tuberculous mothers received care isolated from their mothers to prevent them from developing TB.
1928 The first Christmas Seal Campaign in Saskatchewan was held. Bobby Roberts was appointed Secretary of the League and served until 1952. [View Christmas Seals from years past in our Christmas Seals Gallery and read about the history of Christmas Seals].
1929 Saskatchewan became the first jurisdiction in the Americas to provide free treatment for all TB patients. Legislation provided for treatment of all Saskatchewan residents to be covered by government grants and municipal taxes.
1930 The Prince Albert Sanatorium opened on January 7 with Dr. Robert W. Kirkby as the Medical Superintendent. Peter McAra began a second term as League President.
1931 Dr. RG Ferguson conducted the first scientific study of BCG vaccination of North American aboriginal babies in the world, which led to a vaccination program that substantially reduced TB deaths in infants and children.
1934 Association Canadian Travellers (ACT) adopted TB prevention as their humanitarian effort. The ACT would eventually contribute over $2 million to the League/Lung Association.
1938 The first program in the world for BCG vaccination of student nurses began at Fort San. Rural municipal secretary-treasurers pledged to raise funds for the Christmas Seal Fund.
1939 In January, the First ACT Radio Amateur Hour Show at Parkside (P.A. Club & CKBI) started. Rural Municipal Secretary-Treasurers gave support to Christmas Seal Campaign and the first Pohlmann Trophy awarded for 1941-1942 Campaign.
1941 Using innovative x-ray and photographic technology, Fort San staff designed and built a photofluorograph unit that could be used for mass surveys. The first mass x-ray survey for TB in the Americas was held at Melville.
1942 Moose Jaw became the first city in the Americas to have chest x-rays of virtually all residents for detection of TB.
1943 Two more survey vans were serving the province and Saskatchewan led the world in mass surveys of communities. Saskatchewan was the first jurisdiction in Canada to achieve the ideal of 3 sanatorium beds for every death in the province (270 deaths, 822 beds).
1944 The Bill Shultz Memorial Fund, sponsored by Radio Station CHAB and with the assistance of the Moose Jaw ACT Club, contributed $83,000 to the Preventive Fund for the purchase of new x-ray survey equipment.
1945 The Nurses Affiliation Course began. It continued to 1959 and trained 311 nurses in TB management. Fort San was further enlarged to accommodate returning ex-servicemen with tuberculosis. E. G. Hingley became League President.
1948 Dr. R. G. Ferguson, Director of Medical Services and General Superintendent, retired and was succeeded by Dr. John Orr. Hospital admission x-rays were initiated with the co-operation of general hospitals and federal tuberculosis control grants.
1952 Drugs became an important part of tuberculosis treatment. Field nurses began tuberculin testing and vaccinating in the far north. Frank Froh became the Secretary of the League and later his position was changed to Executive Director where he served until 1984.
1954 Community tuberculin tests began in conjunction with community x-ray surveys.
1955 Studies in Tuberculosis by Dr. R.G. Ferguson was published by the University of Toronto Press and quickly became an important textbook.
1958 Dr. John Orr retired, succeeded by Dr. G. Dudley Barnett as Director of Medical Services and General Superintendent. Ken More became League President.
1960 Steadily decreasing numbers of patients and new TB cases being found gave rise to consideration of the future of TB in Saskatchewan by a joint committee appointed by the government and the League.
1961 The fiftieth Anniversary of the Saskatchewan Anti-Tuberculosis League was celebrated. The Prince Albert Sanatorium was closed on July 27.
1966 The Wherrett-Grzybowski report provided long-term plans for the transition from sanatorium-based to community-based TB care and the transition of the Anti-Tuberculosis League to the Lung Association. The plan included a TB professorship at the University of Saskatchewan which 9 years later became the Ferguson Professorship in honour of Dr. R.G. Ferguson. William Howes became League President.
1967 The League began supporting international TB programs through the CLA Mutual Assistance program. The Saskatchewan Arts Board program began at Fort San.
1968 The government grant for TB patients was $5 per patient per day compared to the initial 50¢/day.
1972 All TB beds at Fort San were closed in March. The school spot check tuberculin surveys began and continued to 1982.
1973 On June 14, an Agreement for TB control services and education was signed by the League, the University of Saskatchewan and the University Hospital. The Sanatorium Act was amended expand the mandate of the League to prevention of other respiratory diseases. In October, the League became a charter member of Saskatchewan Interagency Council on Smoking & Health.
1975 Dr. Jim Dosman, the first Ferguson Professor and the first respirologist in Saskatchewan, arrived and initiated the Pulmonary Division in the Department of Medicine, University of Saskatchewan.
1976 Dr. David Cotton was recruited to the Pulmonary Division.
1977 The league provided funding to recruit two more respirologists, Dr.’s Donald Cockcroft and Vernon Hoeppner, to the Pulmonary Division. The League also funded a community survey of lung function in Humboldt and an International Grain Dust Symposium. J. Wilf Churchman became League President.
1978 On June 26, the last patient was discharged from the Saskatoon Sanatorium completing 10.5 million treatment days for TB in the 3 sanatoria. This was the last year that the League received levies from rural and urban municipalities for TB care. The League began lung disease surveillance of all grain handlers in the province with lung function tests and chest x-rays, which were repeated every 3-years. The Pink Panthers Better Breathing Association was formed in Saskatoon.
1979 The last mass community x-ray and tuberculin test surveys were conducted. The Moorhead Foundation was formed for research on asthma.
1981 The 70th Anniversary of the League was marked by a film by Sask Media. On April 1, the League ceased to operate the Saskatoon San and administration was transferred to Frank Eliason Centre. On September 2, a second 5-year agreement with the University of Saskatchewan was signed. In December the Prince Albert Outpatient Tuberculosis Clinic at Victoria Union Hospital was closed.
1982 In May, the Saskatoon tuberculosis outpatient clinic moved to Ellis Hall, University Hospital.
1983 The Spring Seals campaign for lung disease research was launched in Saskatchewan and adopted by other provincial Lung Associations in the following years.
1985 On April 1 the Tuberculosis Laboratory was transferred from Saskatoon to the University of Saskatchewan. A new Lung Association office in Saskatoon opened with Brian Graham as Executive Director.
1986 Dr. Vern Hoeppner was appointed Director of TB Control and the Ferguson Professor. The League became a founder of the Centre for Health in Agriculture at the University of Saskatchewan with a grant of $125,000 over 5 years. The 75th anniversary of the League was celebrated with a re-enactment of the ACT Amateur Hour and the production of a history book by Jean Larmour.
1987 On June 27, the Saskatchewan Anti-Tuberculosis League changed its official name to the Saskatchewan Lung Association. On July 31, 76 years of being responsible for the diagnosis, treatment, care and prevention of tuberculosis in Saskatchewan came to an end with the transfer of the TB Control program to Saskatchewan Health. The office at Fort San was closed and moved to Saskatoon. Dr. David Cotton was appointed Ferguson Professor.

The Saskatchewan Lung Association Logo

1988 The first Asthma Camp was held in Saskatchewan with major support from the ACT. Asthma Camps continued until 2007. Jim A. Burnett became President of the Saskatchewan Lung Association.
1989 The Smoke-Free Grads of 2000 project was launched and continued with 12 years of school programs aimed at smoking prevention. Better Breathers Chapters for patients with lung disease were formed and spread across the province in subsequent years.
1990 The founding meeting of the Saskatchewan Thoracic Society was held on June 11 and Dr. Donald Cockcroft became its first president. The Lung Association became an accredited placement for students in various Health Sciences programs at the University of Saskatchewan.
1992 The Saskatchewan Lung Association and Saskatchewan Thoracic Society were key members of the Home Respiratory Therapy committee which enhanced home oxygen therapy provided by SAIL and began advocating for the establishment of a sleep apnea testing in the province.
1993 A sample bylaw to establish smoke-free places including restaurants was sent to Saskatchewan mayors.
1994 Dr. Charles Gallagher was appointed Ferguson Professor.
1995 Sleep Disorders Centres were opened in Regina and Saskatoon.
1996 The Saskatchewan Lung Association launched the www.lung.ca website and developed content with information about lung health and lung diseases - one of the first such websites in the world. Saskatchewan Lung Association continued to operate the site on behalf of all provincial Lung Associations until 2004. Dr. Donald Cockcroft was appointed Ferguson Professor.
1997 The Saskatchewan Lung Association, in collaboration with the Manitoba Lung Association, developed the ASTHMATrec program to train health care professionals to be asthma educators. It quickly became and continues be the pre-eminent program of its type in Canada. Robert Ferguson (son of Dr. R.G. Ferguson) became President of the Saskatchewan Lung Association.
1998 The Saskatchewan Lung Association home oxygen program began, contracted by Saskatchewan Health to provide training for home-oxygen personnel in health regions across the province and an overnight oxygen testing service for people with lung disease.
1999 Saskatchewan Lung Association directed a $5 million international development program funded by CIDA to strengthen TB control in Ecuador. The program continued for 8 years.
2000 A series of lung health webpages was developed for school students and teachers which, over the next 10 years, attracted over 15 million page views.

The Lung Association of Saskatchewan Logo

2002 The Saskatchewan Lung Association was restructured with the formation of the Lung Association of Saskatchewan and the Lung Foundation of Saskatchewan. The first edition of the Sleep Apnea Handbook was produced and was quickly adopted by other provincial Lung Associations. This handbook is updated regularly and continues to be used across Canada and around the world. The BreathWorks program for COPD patients was established and The Lung Association of Saskatchewan managed the program for the four western provinces.
2004 The Lung Association of Saskatchewan developed COPDTrec to train health care professionals to become COPD educators - the first such program in Canada.
2005 Provincial legislation for smoke-free places came into effect.
2006 Dr. Darcy Marciniuk was appointed Ferguson Professor. The Lung Association of Saskatchewan developed and operated a home-testing program for sleep apnea in collaboration with the Saskatoon Sleep Disorders Centre. The success of the program led to the provincially funded SleepWell program for home testing. Marilyn S. Reddy became Chair of the Lung Association of Saskatchewan Volunteer Board.
2007 For the first time in the history of the province there were no deaths due to TB in Saskatchewan.
2008 The Lung Association of Saskatchewan developed SPIROTrec to teach individuals to conduct a breathing test called spirometry. ASTHMATrec, COPDTrec and SPIROTrec comprise the RESPTrec program which The Lung Association of Saskatchewan administers across Canada and trained over 1600 health care professionals. Dr. Frank Scott became Chair of the Lung Association of Saskatchewan Volunteer Board.
2009 The COPD Toolkit was launched to provide resources for COPD management programs across Canada at copdtoolkit.org.
2010 Paul Van Loon was presented with the Heather Crowe Award in recognition of his 27 years of service to the Lung Association of Saskatchewan, much of that spent in tobacco control and smoking prevention.

See also: